On August 19th I will fly to Munich for 14 days. This is my itinerary:
- August 20: Arrive at MUC. Find Data Sim card. Night in Poing (eastern suburb of Munich)
- August 21: By train to Freilassing with stopover at Herrenchiemsee.
- August 22: By train to Hallstatt, Austria. Possible stopover in Mondsee.
- August 23: In Hallstatt (2 nights).
- August 24: By train via Zell am See to Hall in Tirol.
- August 25: Innsbruck. Go over Brenner Pass to Italy. Lunch in Italy. Return to Hall.
- August 26: By train to Brannenburg, Germany. Zahnradbahn (cog train) to top of Wendelstein. Seilbahn (cable car) down to Osterhofen, near Bayrischzell. Stay near Bayrischzell 2 nights.
- August 27: Visit Urlaubsdreieck (Bayrischzell, Fischbachau, Schliersee).
- August 28: By train and bus to Mittenwald (1 night). See Mittenwald
- August 29: By train via Reutte to Pfronten (2 nights).
- August 30: In Pfronten. Possibly hike to Falkenstein castle ruins.
- August 31: By bus and train to Munich via Füssen.
- September 1: In Munich. Deutsches Museum
- September 2: In Munich. Deutsches Museum or Dachau.
- September 3: Fly back to Denver.
I have already spent about 8 weeks in Bavaria, seeing Munich, the castles in Füssen, Rothenburg, Würzburg, Nürnberg, Passau, Burghausen, Salzburg, Berchtesgaden, and the Allgäu. Still, there are a few popular (touristy) places, such as Mittenwald and Herrenchiemsee, I haven't seen. In addition, I have never been to the nearby Salzkammergut or to Innsbruck. There are also some less well known places, like Pfronten and the three towns of Schliersee, Fischbachau, and Bayrischzell, that I know about, but have never really visited.
So this is my "cleanup" trip, so to speak.
My report of the trip will start here with Week one.